Direct sulfation of chalcopyrite with steam and oxygen

Prasad, Sanjay and Pandey, B D and Palit, S K (1994) Direct sulfation of chalcopyrite with steam and oxygen. Transactions of the institution of mining and metallurgy section c-mineral processing and extractive metallurgy, 103 ( ). C69-C75.

Full text not available from this repository.


A process based on the direct sulphation of chalcopyrite followed by water leaching may be considered an attractive route for the treatment of lean-grade/pocket or complex deposits. A study was made of the sulphation of chalcopyrite in the presence of steam and oxygen, a treatment that is analogous to creating weathering conditions at high temperature. Various parameters, such as the flow rate of oxygen and steam, temperature and time of reaction, as well as the addition of a catalyst, were investigated. It was found that the formation of SO2 and CuO increased with increase in partial pressure of oxygen when no steam was used. However, higher levels of copper sulphate formation were observed with a mixture of steam and oxygen than when oxygen was used alone in the temperature range 673-873K. The presence of ferric oxide as a catalyst during sulphation with steam and oxygen helped to optimize conversion to copper sulphate. A recovery of 82.32% as copper sulphate and 7.5% as copper oxide was attained, giving a total recovery of 89.82% at 773K in the presence of the catalyst.

Item Type:Article
Official URL/DOI:
Uncontrolled Keywords:Steam and oxygen
Divisions:Metal Extraction and Forming
ID Code:995
Deposited By:Sahu A K
Deposited On:14 Jun 2010 16:34
Last Modified:08 Feb 2012 12:10
Related URLs:

Repository Staff Only: item control page